We have noticed that you are using an older browser version

This portal is optimized for the following browser versions:

  • IE - 11
  • Edge 18 or greater
  • Firefox 69 or greater
  • Chrome 77 or greater
  • Safari 13 or greater
  • Opera 63 or greater

Note: We advise you to update to better enjoy navigation in the portal.

Skip to main content

Let us help you reach the information you're looking for. Tell us about yourself! Where are you living or where do you want to go?

If you didn't find what you are looking for, please report here.

Tens de seleccionar pelo menos uma opção

Need help? Please, click on this icon!

Legal Support and Advisory

    • Request a tax code
    • Registering at Registry office (Anagrafe) as a Resident of Milan
    • Request a Municipal ID
Request a tax code

All international newcomers need to request a tax code. The tax code number is required for a number of routine activities in Milan such as opening a bank account, renting an apartment, paying for utilities, applying for social benefits and paying taxes and, of course, getting a job and getting paid for it.

You can request and obtain the tax code directly from the Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate) offices. To find the contact information and locations of the Revenue Agency offices, go to agenziaentrate.gov.it, click on “Trova l'ufficio” (Find the Office) and insert your address.
The tax code application form (form AA4/8) and instructions is also available on agenziaentrate or you can pick up a hard copy at an Agenzia delle Entrate office. 
English section:
To apply for a tax code, you will need to bring with you:

  • Valid national identity document (such as a passport, or European ID card)
  • Two copies of your valid national identity document
  • Completed tax code application form AA4/8.

You will be provided with your tax code on-site when you apply.

You can request a tax code (codice fiscale) at the Revenue Agency Office (Agenzia delle Entrate) after you have received your residence permit or directly if you do not need to apply for a residence permit. To find the nearest Agenzia delle Entrate, call 848 8000 444, go to agenziaentrate or find the office locations in Section 12: Important Information of this guide.

Registering at Registry office (Anagrafe) as a Resident of Milan

You can register at the Registry Office (Anagrafe) and later apply for a municipal ID card (carta di identità) once you have obtained a tax code and a residence permit (non-EU citizens must also show a receipt of their application for a Nulla Osta). You can find the addresses of each of the Registry offices in Section 12: Important Information and Section 3: Permits and Authorizations on this guide.

The Anagrafe keeps a record of all of its residents. Anyone who is able to provide proof of their residence can register at the Anagrafe. This record, which includes your personal information, such as your name, country of origin, date of birth, and residential address, must be kept up-to-date. If your residential address changes, you must update your record at the Anagrafe within 20 days of moving. If you are occupying a property illegally, you cannot register at the Anagrafe.

You will not be entitled to certain rights until you have registered at the Anagrafe. For example, you are not able to apply for a municipal ID card, apply for Italian citizenship, or access certain municipal services, such as social housing, until you have registered.

You may submit your registration application at the Anagrafe in person at via Larga, 12, 20122 Milan, by faxing 02 88460164, by emailing ServiziAlCittadino@postacert.comune.milano.it, or by mailing to “Office Sector Foreigners Services" to Cittadino via Larga, 12, 20122 Milan. You can make an in-person appointment through the online booking service when you register as a user. You can download the application form by going to comune.milano.it, and searching “Cittadinanza e iscrizione anagrafica cittadini stranieri” (Citizenship and Registration of Foreign Citizens).

To register as a resident, you will need to submit the following documents with the completed application:

  • Photocopy of a valid passport (or an equivalent document such as a European ID)
  • Photocopy of a valid residence permit (for non-EU citizens). If you are in possession of a Nulla Osta, then you only need to bring your receipt proving that you applied for a residence permit and a copy of the Nulla Osta.
  • Original and photocopy of your tax code (codice fiscale) 
  • Photocopy of your lease 

For more information on the procedure and the documents needed: EU citizens can refer to the comune.milano.it website, and search “Attestazioni di soggiorno per stranieri UE” (Registration of EU Foreign Citizens).

In order to register your familial relationships, you must present copies of your original and translated marriage certificates, birth certificates, and/or any other documents proving your family composition. You can submit copies of the original documents that are translated and legalized by the Italian diplomatic or consular authority in your country of origin.

You must confirm your residential address each time you renew your residence permit.

This obligation is called the “Declaration of Renewal of the Usual Residence” (Dichiarazione di rinnovo della dimora abituale) and if not carried out, the City will automatically cancel your residence in Milan.

The request must be submitted in person with the residence permit or the original residence permit and a photocopy of the permit that you will leave at the Anagrafe.

Request a Municipal ID

The municipal ID card (carta di identità) is a personal identification document with a photo issued by the City. It is an electronic identity card that all residents, including minors, are required to have.

You can request an electronic identity card by booking an appointment at the Anagrafe on comune.milano.it or by calling 020202.

The carta di identità has the look and size of a credit card. It is equipped with a microprocessor that stores information regarding the identity of the cardholder, including biometric data and whether you are an organ donor. It allows you to register and access online public services provided through the Public System of Digital Identity (spid.gov.it).

The carta di identità release fee is 22.20€ and can be paid in cash or by credit card or debit card.

Italian language courses

Take a placement test to assess your language level before enrolling in an Italian language course. There are beginner courses (A1) for those who speak no Italian.

Find the most suitable Italian language course by going to milano.italianostranieri.org
Sign up for an Italian language course at various proficiency levels for free at a CPIA state school on cpia5milanocentrale.edu.it or at a certified private school for a fee.

Alternatively, you can sign up for classes offered by the City of Milan.

Go to lingueincomune.it to find classes currently on offer by the City.


Infopoint Politiche Sociali e Cultura della Salute is open to the public and will assess a resident’s needs, provide information, and refer residents to the most appropriate social services available from the City of Milan.

In particular, the Infopoint gives information on the services provided (locations, opening hours to the public, expected requirements, services provided by the individual service and/or office), and then directs the resident to the office or service that best meets the person’s needs. The Infopoint also provides forms and documents regarding current socio-educational and social assistance services and initiatives.

The Infopoint for Social Policies and Culture of Health office is located in Largo Treves, 1 (ground floor) and is open to the public Monday to Friday from 08:30-12:00 and from 14:00-15:15.

Territorial Professional Services

Any individual and/or a family resident in the City of Milan can access assistance from the Territorial Professional Social Services to obtain support to overcome a time of difficulty, transformation, or crisis. There are service locations located across all the 9 Municipi of the City. At these service points, professionals and social workers will establish a formal case management relationship and use professional tools and methods to strengthen, develop and sustain the resources needed to support healthy and stable households. No documentation is required for the first visit. Services are available to all residents of the City of Milan, within their Municipio of residence, and are specially targeted to children, teenagers, adults, parents, elderly people, and people with disabilities.

At the Territorial Professional Social Service office nearest to your residence, the staff may provide the following types of assistance and services, depending upon your needs:

  • Give information and guidance on services, interventions, benefits, and provide direct access to public and private social services

  • Schedule an intake-consultation with a social worker who can assist a person who has presented a well-identified challenge and need to access the necessary and most appropriate resources

  • Develop and manage a personalized socio-educational and social assistance program for the individual or family. All venues are open to the public from 09:00-12:00 usually from Monday to Friday.

You can find the Territorial Professional Social Service office near you and their contact information on the comune.milano.it by searching “Servizio Sociale Professionale Territoriale - SSPT” (Territorial Professional Social Service - SSPT).

Driver’s Licenses

To drive a car in Italy, you must have a driver’s license and be over 18 years of age. Always keep your driver’s license with you when you are driving.

To get a driver’s license, you need to pass a test. Alternatively, you may be able to convert your driver’s license from your country of origin into an Italian one. To learn whether your country’s drivers licenses can be converted and how to do so, visit mit.gov.it, and click “Come Fare Per” (How to Do It), “Patenti, Mezzi e Abilitazioni” (Licenses, Means and Qualifications), “Patenti Mezzi Stradali” (Road Transport Licenses), and “Conversione Patente Estera” (Foreign License Conversion).

If your driving license is issued by an EU country, it will be recognized throughout the EU. If the license issued by a non-EU country has already been replaced with a European driving license in another EU Member State, it can be used for one year after moving to Italy.

Restricted Traffic Zones

There are two restricted traffic zones in the City of Milan. The first restricted traffic zone is called Cerchia dei Bastioni or Area C. To enter this area Monday-Friday from 07:30-19:30, you must purchase and activate an entrance ticket. The ticket costs 5€ and can be purchased at parking meters, newsstands, tobacco shops or online. The ticket must be activated no later than midnight the day after accessing Area C by sending a text message, calling the call center, or visiting areac.atm-mi.it .

The second restricted traffic zone is called Area B, which prevents the access of highly polluting vehicles and vehicles that are longer than 12 meters carrying goods, and covers most of the City of Milan. Area B is active Monday to Friday from 07:30 to 19:30, excluding public holidays. To learn which vehicles cannot access Area B, or to get more information, visit comune.milano.it/areab

Road Safety Laws

You must be aware of road safety laws and obey them while driving.

For example, important laws include:

  • The vehicle you are driving must be registered with the government
  • Everyone in your car must wear a seatbelt
  • It is against the law to use a mobile phone while driving
  • Drive on the right-hand side of the road and pass on the left If you are in a traffic accident, you must stop and give assistance. Persons involved in a traffic accident have a duty to provide their name, address, and license number.

In the event of a serious injury or death, the police must be alerted using the emergency telephone number 112.

Disobeying or breaking traffic laws can result in expensive fines, the loss of your driver’s license, or even imprisonment.
Parking illegally can also result in expensive fines. To learn how to pay a fine or dispute a fine, visit comune.milano.it/multe

Opening a Bank Account

You are advised to open a bank account with a local bank while living in Milan.

Living in Italy comes with a lot of choices in banking, from smaller domestic banks to large international ones. Banking fees vary significantly, so be sure to compare rates for different banks before opening a bank account.

Check first as to whether the bank in your country of origin has a cooperation agreement with an Italian bank, which will simplify the registration process.

In order to open an account, you will need to complete a bank opening request form, which can be sent by mail or in person. Since Italian banking schedules can be quite restrictive, it is a good idea to consider opening an account close to your home or workplace.

You will need the following documents to open a bank account:

  • Valid ID, such as a passport
  • Tax code (codice fiscale)
  • Municipal ID card (carta d’identità)
  • Proof of address, such as a utility bill

Depending on the bank you choose, additional documents may also be required, such as a lease or an employment contract.

Financial Assistance and Management Support

If you require financial assistance or help to manage your finances, please visit a Center for Financial Assistance (Centri di Assistenza Fiscale, CAF).

You can find more information on CAF offices and where to find the closest one to you on agenziaentrate.gov.it.


Did you notice a mistake in the existing content? Help us improve it by reporting the mistake and/or suggesting a correction. You didn't find the language you were looking for? Help us reach more people by translating the content yourself!

translation – übersetzung ; oversættelse - prijevod - traducción - traduzione ; vertaling – tłumaczenie - tradução – traducere – tõlge – μετάφραση – fordítás – tulkojums – vertimas – traduzzjoni – översättning – çeviri – käännös – превод – překlad – aistriúchán – prijevod – Iwwersetzung

Approach is a collaborative system.

Are you coming from a European country and  living in Milan still several years?

Please share your experience !

Help new Milan Citizen of you country by translating these pages into your native language and giving some tips.

How to proceed ? Ask for an account here.

Build your custom guide for

Select the introduction or any other information sections to add to your custom guide. Look for the printer icon at the top of the page to print or download your guide.

Select All | Deselect All | Invert Selection



Please select at least one box to print later!

Go Top