We have noticed that you are using an older browser version

This portal is optimized for the following browser versions:

  • IE - 11
  • Edge 18 or greater
  • Firefox 69 or greater
  • Chrome 77 or greater
  • Safari 13 or greater
  • Opera 63 or greater

Note: We advise you to update to better enjoy navigation in the portal.

Skip to main content

Let us help you reach the information you're looking for. Tell us about yourself! Where are you living or where do you want to go?

If you didn't find what you are looking for, please report here.

Tens de seleccionar pelo menos uma opção

Need help? Please, click on this icon!


    • How to Formalize Your Residence Status
    • Housing
    • Territorial Professional Services
How to Formalize Your Residence Status

Citizens of the European Union (EU) have the right to move, reside, work and receive training and education
freely in Italy.
There are different requirements, depending on whether you are staying for less or more than 90 days:

  • EU citizens have the right of residence in Italy for a period of up to 90 days without going through any formalities. However, you may go to a police station to “declare your presence” (dichiarazione di presenza), otherwise, your stay will be presumed to have exceeded 90 days. People who host an EU citizen as a guest in their home, within 48 hours, must complete the “Comunicazione di cessione fabbricato (casa) o di ospitalità” form if their guest stays longer than 30 days. Learn more on poliziadistato.it
  • EU citizens who wish to stay in Italy for a period longer than 90 days must register as a temporary “Dichiarazione di Dimora Temporanea” or as full-time resident “Residenza” at the Registry Office (Anagrafe) in the municipality where they are staying. Please note, if you register as a full-time resident, you will lose your resident status in your country of origin.

You can find more details on how to register as a resident and the documents needed on comune.milano.it, by
searching “Iscrizione anagrafica per cittadini” (Records Registration for EU Citizens).


Milan has a wide range of housing choices to meet your personal preferences and budget. Most accommodation options in the city center are apartments while larger family homes are more common in the outer zones. Generally, accommodation is cheaper in the outer zones of the city, which still have strong public transportation connections to the city center.

You can find an apartment online or through a real estate agent who acts on behalf of landlords. International students can learn about their housing options through their university or on yesMilano.it A “lease” or a “residential tenancy agreement” is a legal written contract between a tenant and a landlord. When you sign a contract, for example, to rent an apartment or to sign up for utilities, you should pay attention to the minimum contract period and the terms of the notice. Make sure when renting an apartment that you sign a lease with your name that includes the fixed monthly rent.

Discuss your utilities with your landlord including water, gas, heat, and electricity. Water in Milan is supplied by MM. There are many providers you can choose from, in coordination with your landlord, to obtain electricity, gas, and heat.

If you ever move inside or outside of the City of Milan, you must go to the Anagrafe office within 20 days of moving to declare your new residence. To learn more about how to do this and to download the declaration form, go to comune.milano.it and search “Cambio di residenza o di indirizzo” (Change of Residence or Address).

Territorial Professional Services

Any individual and/or a family resident in the City of Milan can access assistance from the Territorial Professional Social Services to obtain support to overcome a time of difficulty, transformation, or crisis.

There are service locations located across all the 9 Municipi of the City.

At these service points, professionals and social workers will establish a formal case management relationship and use professional tools and methods to strengthen, develop and sustain the resources needed to support healthy and stable households.

No documentation is required for the first visit. Services are available to all residents of the City of Milan, within their Municipio of residence, and are specially targeted to children, teenagers, adults, parents, elderly people, and people with disabilities.

At the Territorial Professional Social Service office nearest to your residence, the staff may provide the following types of assistance and services, depending upon your needs:

  • Give information and guidance on services, interventions, benefits, and provide direct access to public and private social services

  • Schedule an intake-consultation with a social worker who can assist a person who has presented a well-identified challenge and need to access the necessary and most appropriate resources

  • Develop and manage a personalized socio-educational and social assistance program for the individual or family. All venues are open to the public from 09:00-12:00 usually from Monday to Friday.

You can find the Territorial Professional Social Service office near you and their contact information on the comune.milano.it by searching “Servizio Sociale Professionale Territoriale - SSPT” (Territorial Professional Social Service - SSPT).


Did you notice a mistake in the existing content? Help us improve it by reporting the mistake and/or suggesting a correction. You didn't find the language you were looking for? Help us reach more people by translating the content yourself!

translation – übersetzung ; oversættelse - prijevod - traducción - traduzione ; vertaling – tłumaczenie - tradução – traducere – tõlge – μετάφραση – fordítás – tulkojums – vertimas – traduzzjoni – översättning – çeviri – käännös – превод – překlad – aistriúchán – prijevod – Iwwersetzung

Approach is a collaborative system.

Are you coming from a European country and  living in Milan still several years?

Please share your experience !

Help new Milan Citizen of you country by translating these pages into your native language and giving some tips.

How to proceed ? Ask for an account here.

Build your custom guide for

Select the introduction or any other information sections to add to your custom guide. Look for the printer icon at the top of the page to print or download your guide.

Select All | Deselect All | Invert Selection



Please select at least one box to print later!

Go Top